Thursday, January 1, 2015

Once upon a memory- 2014 tribute

ok so we have been literally iced in for the past two days with Robert only leaving the house yesterday to slip n slide to Walmart and buy groceries (thank the Lord or we would have eaten canned chili and frozen breakfast sandwiches for New Years... Gross) so instead we got to enjoy ringing in the NewYear with our brother Isaac, his friend, and my kiddos. Poor Waylon has been sick but we managed to have our own balloon drop, sparkling cider and cotton candy drinks with noise makers. It wasn't the crazy and loud fun we usually have at our church celebration but it was fun nonetheless!

So even with the ice apocalypse, I managed to miss out on blogging which I would like to keep up in 2015 so yall hold me to it!!
Here is my tribute to 2014 bc we all know it was a very exciting year!

- we finished 1 year of being parents in December and its amazing how much things have changed. I remember having late nights full of fits and screaming and hair pulling, biting, yelling, name calling, and behavior that I have wiped away from my mind. That was all just the first few months... Then slowly the behaviors changed to laughter and still disobedience and some testing of boundaries, but now we have the occasional crying from punishments that are more life teaching than anything and lots more smiles at bedtime.
- I salute 1 year of being a mother and a father and although our waist lines have increased and the knots in my neck are bigger, I wouldn't change a thing. I hope to increase play time and decrease stress time as a parent in 2015.

- 2014 marked one year without my grandpa, Slim. I still miss him and my other grandparents greatly and visit their graves often. It has been fun to teach the kids about their new heritage and they have caught on to some stories and I believe are getting a good idea of the family they never got to meet this side of Heaven. I hope to pass on many more memories of these great influences in my life to the kids in 2015.

- 2014 was also a year of weddings! Robert and I both had cousins that got married and I had a few friends tie the knot. Each celebration was a time of firsts for the kids as they met ALOT of friends and family. I hope to make more memories with extended family and my friends from further distances in 2015.

- I think the biggest moment of 2014 goes to June 25th, our Forever Fanily Day. Walking out of that court room and knowing we could officially celebrate our new lives with our kids without fear of losing them was the best feeling! We look forward to a big celebration for our Forever Day in 2015.

- if I (Jennifer) had to pick one favorite moment from 2014, it would be when I was watching The Little Couple on the couch one day with Waylon on one arm and Elva on the other. I remember thinking... This is exactly what I've always wanted to do with my kids and its happening! That moment made mommy life so much more real :) I hope for more mommy moments in 2015 where the world just stops.

- Robert's favorite moment was the moments after the finalization and going to six flags to celebrate. He really felt like a dad during those moments as the kids would grip his arm bc they were scared on the rides. He hopes to take them on more adventures in 2015.

- 2014 was also the year we officially went from "Rob" and "Jen" to "Dad" and "Mom"... It was the year we went from couple activities to piano and gymnastics and basketball and football... It was the year I finally got to hear "I love you" as a mom... And I'll be honest, I didn't know how long it would take for those words to be sincere from these kiddos who had trusted many and been broken much... So hearing I love you from them is still such a sweet sound. I hope to cherish every "I love you" and "mommy" I hear in 2015.

- I can't forget my favorite moments with our "other" children... The youth group. From camp to sleepovers to lock ins to road trips to Bible studies to everything... This group shows how much they love our kids and we couldn't be more grateful to those who have stepped out and helped us survive this year. I'm also happy for the growth we have had with new members... I hope for bigger joys and lasting commitments for a Christlike lifestyle that will infect other teens and point them to the Creator in 2015.

Well that's all for now! No looking back and no regrets, I just have to be the best mom, wife, sister, friend, daughter, physical therapist, coworker, etc. that I can be... And do it all for the Glory of God.

2014. Done.
2015. Begin.

For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper, not to harm, plans for a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: