Friday, November 22, 2013

The Day that Changed Our Lives

There are no words for how scary and exquisitely excited I am to write this post. I know you want to skip down to the bottom to catch the BIG NEWS but please read everything first.

God is wonderful. His timing is perfect. His love reaches beyond our wildest imaginations and beyond the depths of the deepest ocean. It is through that love that He has led us to this amazing point in our lives...

On September 26th I was having a tough day with the whole waiting thing. I was getting extra anxious that we weren't getting any profiles or any names or any steps in any direction for this adoption. I just wanted to crawl into a hole and scream. I prayed hard and shed many tears asking God for another sign, another confirmation (aren't we silly humans, as if He hadn't already confirmed enough for me), that we were doing everything we needed to, that we were going in the right direction. As I was battling my emotions and my faith, I finally came to the end of my rope and surrendered everything to God... Then He answered me (again).
I received two phone calls that night from two different friends that just out of the blue wanted to call and offer encouragement in the adoption process. Thank you God for your presence when we need it most! My anxiety and my jittery heart was instantly calmed from talking to these two women. I began to tell myself that I most likely wasn't going to meet my children this year and that I should just relax and continue to focus on prayer. Little did I know!

September 27th (Friday)
We received The Call that changed our lives. HollyAnn said she had a profile of a boy and a girl, a little on the older side of what we were asking for, and she wanted to know if we were interested.
Ummmm, yes.
I was at work when I got the call, I began to pray and pray, God what if this is it? God we asked you from the beginning to not have to make us say no, but to give us that certainty feeling when we were presented with the right profile. Well, after I got off work I just couldn't help smiling. I called Robert and asked what he thought. All we had were two names, two ages, and a small blurb on their past. Robert and I both felt strongly that this was worth pursuing, that we were feeling enough of a tug to dive deeper into these children's lives and pray for the possibility of a future.

That afternoon, we had the privilege of seeing the first pictures of our son and daughter. We also had to go through the painstaking details of their past and reading the reason for why they were properties of the state in foster care in the first place. While there are so many things that these precious little ones have had to endure, the details are not important because God has led them to our doorstep and we have nothing but the future ahead of us. We took the weekend to pray, consulting some of our most trusted prayer partners, and on Sunday evening, we committed to the children. We knew we were signing up for the love and safety and security of these precious beings but also for the tears, the fears, and the pain from helping them overcome their past and accept the life and future ahead of them. But no matter the risks and no matter the uncertainties, we were ready to jump head first into their hearts, into God's arms.


I am delighted to take you now on a new journey with us... the journey to and through our parenthood.


So without further ado, I proudly announce that we are adopting a little girl, Elva age 6, and her adorable brother, Waylon age 8.

Pictures say a thousand words, but we arent ready to release their picture on the internet just yet. There are alot of fears with adoption and we want to keep these kids safe for the time being until they are officially ours. The plan is, we will have them before Christmas. Then they stay with us as our unofficial children for 6 months and then we can officially adopt them. This will be a fun and trying time for us, but our hearts are open and ready, what more could we ask for :)

If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1Corinthians 13:3-4

2 comments:

CCLannom said...

You probably don't know us, but our kids are students of Mrs. Mason. Our story is almost identical to yours. 12 years ago two beautiful children entered our house through the legal risk foster care program. The boy was 2 and the girl was 1. They are now 14 and 13. A word of encouragement for you: This was the best decision we have ever made in our lifetime. God blessed us with 2 beautiful adopted children and graciously gifted us with 3 biological children as well. I pray that your experience is every bit as wonderful as ours and I praise God that you are stepping into these children's lives. May God bless you!

The Roberts' said...

Congratulations!!! So so so very exciting!