Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 in Review

Typically at the end of the year/beginning of the new one, people are ready to put the previous year behind them and looking forward to changes in the new. I can't say that 2011 was all around a great and joyful year, but I'm not ready to just throw it away either. There were many challenges and painful memories, but there are just as many joyful and exciting ones. This is my annual year in review post... here we go!

January
-January was a challenge as it was the last month before I took on some heavy responsibility at work, it was a stressful time, but I knew God had a plan.
-We took the teens on the Winter Retreat hosted by the South Naz District in Ruidoso. It was fun to go tubing, some went skiing, some shopped, and we all enjoyed worship and the great Mountain air together as a group.

-January also brought on the beginning of Weight watchers and a Daniel Fast with our church. I did great with WW through this month and i believe lost 10 poounds. The Daniel Fast was just to help up prepare our hearts for what God had in store for our church this year... it was a great experience and I encourage anyone else to follow it.
-The last part of January was me fighting sickness! I was sick for about 75% of the month, went through 3 sets of antibiotics and tons of other meds and shots... I filled my sick quota the first month of the year.

February
-We got sadie on February 5th. She is the perfect addition to our family and was soooo tiny then!


-Of course we spoiled her and Rob built her a dog mansion for outside.
-February was also the month of the first big ice storm... no moisture really just a thick coating of sleet and ice... We were still in the drought as we hadn't had rain since September of 2010, so ice was not fun... except I got to miss work :)

March
-March was spent trying to get used to our puppy and spending some time together amongst lots of responsibility at work.
-Our beautiful niece, A, turned 5 this month! I can't believe she is that old!
-We managed to take a nice get-a-way trip to Alpine to explore the Davis Mountains, Marfa, and all of the secrets that Alpine had to offer. It was a great trip for us!
April
-April was busy as we had our annual telethon at work which is one of our biggest fund raisers.
-On April 21st I had to have right knee arthroscopic surgery to correct a knee meniscus tear. This has changed my life as its still not completely healed and I'm having to undergo physical therapy. Stupid knee.
-The worst part of the year happened when my Mema passed away on April 30th. It was unexpected and sudden and not supposed to happen at this time so we were very shaken up and still haven't been able to fully come to grips with this loss. I know she is with Papa having some great conversations with Jesus, but I'm still in shock.
May
-We buried Mema on May 5th in a beautiful ceremony that I had the honor of participating in. I read from a book she left me about memories from her childhood and shared some of my favorite moments with her. It was the best way to say goodbye.
-May was otherwise filled with remembering Mema and distributing her possessions between loved ones which is always quite a task. Amongst the sadness we managed to celebrate my dad and my nephew, JD, turning another year older (49 and 6 respectively).
-Due to the knee surgery and the events with my grandmother I stopped WW with a total of weight loss at 15 lbs. I was unable to keep all the weight off the rest of the year to which I attribute being unable to work out from recovering from this knee. Again stupid knee.

June
-We celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary! We didn't have time to make any exciting plans because of youth camp the following week, but we did manage to enjoy a nice dinner and Robert got those vibram 5 finger shoes... they are so weird.
-Youth Camp! Oh how we love the teens and youth camp is always fun and crazy!
-And the lovely niece, MJ, turned 6 in June! She is so big now!

July
-The best vacation of my life ocurred in July with Roomie Reunion 2011 in Portland, OR! You can check the July posts bc I had two or three from Portland with all our pictures! But to sum up about 300+ pictures of my amazing friends Ashley and Tracy I chose this one:
bc its July and we were standing in shorts on a mountain of SNOW! It was amazing!
-My parents celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary this month and took a trip to Italy, Spain, and other Mediteranean hot spots. They are such good role models of a God lead marriage- way to go mom and dad!

August
-Rock the Desert! Always occurs on the first weekend of the month so we loaded up the teens, had a girls sleep over at our house, ate lots of junk food, and listened to top Christian artists perform in the 100+ heat and dust. Always a good time :)

-I chose this picture to mention my amazing friend Kendall who has gone through so much this year and has one more semester of high school left and I know she will make a big difference wherever God leads her!
-August was also the time for teen hangouts at the baseball park and painting our kitchen and living room.
-Another unexpected event of this month was my mother being taken to the ER due to significant lung and breathing issues. She was in the hospital for several days due to an inability to catch her breath and swelling in her legs. She is doing alright, but is being followed by several doctors and is in need of continued prayer for her healing.

September
-Oh September, we start with a trip to Six Flags with the teens! Its always fun (watching them ride the crazy rides and) enjoying the shopping and simple wooden rollercoasters that don't plummet up upside down or backwards :)
-My family also got an early Christmas gift for ourselves and went to an AGGIE GAME! Whoop! Although we didn't beat OSU that weekend, it was great to be in Aggieland and enjoying all our favorite spots in Bryan/College Station. Oh How I love that place!
October
-Well besides my birthday :)... which is like the best holiday, right?

-One of my coworkers also had a nice fancy party for her 50th so we got to spend some good fun time outside of work and our usually running around with patients.
-My mom and our niece, MB, celebrated a joint birthday (now 49 and 3 respectively). We had a good time sharing laughs :)
-The doctors officially gave me a diagnosis of arthritis in my knees which meant I really can't do any running or jogging soon... this knee is now my nemesis.
-To end October I drove my mother to see her sister and my cousins in Albuquerque, NM. I really enjoyed getting to see them and hope I can again soon!

November
-Rob turns 26 and celebrated with his grandmother who also turned older (I believe 93?)


-Then of course our family pictures, I just love these :)


-For Thanksgiving we went to Dallas for my Dad's side family reunion and then headed over to the Cowboys stadium to watch texas tech play baylor... really we just went to be in the stadium and spend some extra time with the family and it was so cool! I can't wait to go back!
-I also received injections in my knee to decrease pain and increase my joint space fluid. Again with the knee thing....

December
-AND finally December. That was a busy month: San Antonio for a church staff retreat, work Christmas parties, family get-together, the teens Christmas party, and...
(this was on the riverwalk boat tour in San Antonio, such a nice lights display :)

...SNOW! It snowed for several days here (which is way weird) and it stayed for several days too! I loved it! It took Sadie a little while to get used to it, but eventually she gave in and decided that she would sit in it and play :)



This is the freaky tumbleweed snowman someone created in their front yard... humorous, yet quite frightening for a Christmas exhibit.



And thats 2011.
Very busy. Very hot and dry. Very quick. Very memorable. Very Sad. Very unforgettable.

God, I don't know what you have in mind for 2012, but I'm willing to trust you all the way.

Thanks for reading, have a great New Year.









1 comment:

Ashley said...

Love this...and got a little teary eyed during the July update! I think we were both reminded of how blessed we are this year, even in the hard times. God revealed his unending love.

I love you Jmase and look forward to many wonderful memories in 2012.
-Ash