Thursday, October 2, 2008

Back to the Basics

So obviously the "rapture" did not occur which means that we are continuing on with life in preparation for the Lord's return some other appointed day... that really none of us will ever know nor should we know... just get your heart right now and it shouldn't even be a worry!

Moving on...

I went for another run/walk in the park today and it was just a beautiful day. I love Fall and could see signs of it all around me... the leaves falling on the path, kids running to school with their light sweaters, the chill of the early morning... and just the smell of fall I find tickling at my nose saying "I'm here"! So excited for fall.
As I was run/walking [emphasis on the walking part], I began to ponder things as I always do throughout the day. I've been very unsuccessful in keeping my IPOD charged over the past month to actually use for my workouts, but this has been frustrating and a blessing all in one. It is a blessing in that I can listen to myself think [which is often very frustrating b/c as you read these blogs you should know I'm a very confusing person in the head] and I can listen to God. I have a problem with silence and, although walking in the park isn't exactly silence [especially with my huffing and puffing], it is the most quiet I get all day. So try going for a run/walk this next week without the music... and just listen to nature and the beauty of God... thats a challenge.

Along my pondering, I came to a realization. I have lost the love for the basics of my Christianity. WOAH you say, what does that mean! Well let me explain. I have a friend who has recently started reading the Bible, we are talking from square one "In the beginning" and everything. My friend didn't grow up in church, but has been going to one in town recently and is now exploring all this talk about this mysterious book and the stories told in the sermons. I find this awesome and offered to read along with them in case they had any questions [although I am far from a scholar or any sort of person who could provide any words of wisdom in this area]...

well I realized today that my friend has taught me something very important... I need to get more excited about the Bible... about God's word... and about not slumping into a rut of just proclaiming I'm a Christian. My friend is the most excited person when it comes to reading the Bible and that excitement is something that most Christians have forgotten about. Let me explain more. When we become Christians, whenever that is... old, young, whatever, we are excited. There is something moving inside us that we just can't explain and we have to act on it or we will burst! Hopefully most of you have had this opportunity to feel this. But as we become patterned in our behaviors and lifestyles, we forget about this joy, this burning of the heart for closeness with God. Oh sure, on Sundays we may feel it if the right song or verse comes on the screen, but I'm talking about a real joy- the blindlike or childlike faith kind of joy- the bursting with curiosity kind of joy. My friend has found that. I can hardly keep up with their pace and yet I find myself becoming enthralled with what I'm reading- even though I've read these stories, heard them preached over and over, they are giving me joy to read. How is it that someone who has never heard these stories can be so joyous and want to learn more and I've known the joy of the Lord since I was 9 but have already lost this joy? I need... we need to get back to the basics. How did we become a God follower, where were we, what was happening inside us? Let the Bible become exciting again, read the old stories we heard in Sunday school, look up those versus that mean the most to you, do you have a favorite psalm... if not then find one and take joy in reading it. Take joy in the basics of our Christianity... God didn't intend for it to have to be so political and serious.

Yes, I really did think all that while running this morning. Who knew that would come from me? Have a great weekend everyone... and coming soon: my birthday! hehe

2 comments:

roBUT & loLER said...

JMase! Err... JFowl! You have totally been on my mind for a really long time. I am so calling you soon. I just stumbled across your blog today and wanted to say, "Hi!" Hope married life and PT school are treating you well. I miss you and still think about you and pray for you!

<3 Your Big :)

The Roberts' said...

im glad to know i didnt miss the rapture! phew!