Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The "Me" Monster

So before you read this you should go to youtube and look up a comedian named Brian Regan and his act on "I walked on the moon". I would have put the link in here, but I honestly don't know how to do that and I'm not about to figure it out now when I need to get to bed but instead I'm writing a blog (yes I love it that much). SOOOO, after you have watched this you should be more aware now of what he means by the "me" monster. But in case you are like me and usually don't like to open a new window, type in the search, and actually watch the short video... the "me" monster represents those people who just HAVE to talk about themselves. The world does revolve around them and only by stepping into their world will you survive. Well, on this clinical right now I have encountered someone who has a very strong personality and for a while I just couldn't figure out what it was about that person that rubbed me the wrong way... until now. She is a "me" monster. Just a little too concerned with turning everything in a conversation back to her. Now I know I have been guilty of this in the past, but its like I have now figured out a diagnosis for my discomfort around this person. Knowing this diagnosis, I know now how to approach her and how to better lead discussions. So you see... the "me" monster isn't necessarily a bad thing... just a diagnosis.

Meanwhile... I have only one day left of this clinical! Despite the "me" monster moments, I've had a good time, gotten to see alot of different things, and feel like maybe I am learning something in school. AND I even cracked some of my books... who would have thought they weren't kidding when they said we would use them on our clinicals. Gold star for me! Stephanie (my colleague who is on the same clinical rotation as I am) and I will be celebrating a successful end to pediatric world tomorrow night so I'm excited about that. (I wish Robert could be here for it though, but we will celebrate this weekend by going to the lake with my cousin). Oh Goodie! Two weeks of real summer... or whats left of it... here I come!

AND for your viewing pleasure, some pictures and a video from the camp Steph and I worked while on our clinical last week. We were in the play room where we had therapy stuff, but really we were just playing with the kids and offering therapy advice for parents. But we may have gotten a little bored...


This is a "body sock" designed to help with proprioception... or to make you look like a red umpa lumpa



AND This has to be the most embarrassing video of my life... but just so you get the full experience of the body sock...
video

2 comments:

Molly Kate said...

COOL!!!!!!!!

tracykrause said...

oh my goodness that is hilarious!
i miss you!